Under section 15(k) of the New Zealand Maori Arts and Crafts Institute Act (1963), the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute has the ability to ‘Confer diplomas on or give certificates to any person having special training or qualifications in respect of Māori arts or crafts or Māori culture generally’.
Successful graduates of Te Rito qualification will receive a New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute Pōkairua (Diploma).
This qualification – including a scholarship for each successful applicant – is solely funded by the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute.
This qualification is delivered onsite at Te Puia, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- This is a two-year fulltime (40 hours per week) qualification. Each year of the qualification must be completed successfully to proceed into the next. Students are entitled to three study breaks between terms and one Christmas holiday break.
- Students are required to arrange their own accommodation and transport requirements.
- Applicants must be of Māori descent.
- Applications must be made on the form provided by NZMACI (attached). The applicant must attach all required documentation to support their application.
- Applicants will be assessed based on information identified in Te Rito Application for Enrolment Form and Iwi Tono Form (if applicable). Applications close 5pm, 26 January 2018.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and an interview arranged (to be conducted by an NZMACI panel). Interviews to take place from February 12 to 16, 2018.
- Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing.
- The Iwi Tono form is only applicable if you have been nominated by your iwi to apply for entry into Te Rito.
- An iwi representative must complete the Iwi Tono form. This will be submitted in addition to the Te RitoApplication for Enrolment Form you complete.
Scholarship and Fees
- All successful applicants will receive a NZMACI scholarship to cover tuition and assist with living costs for the duration of this qualification (these generous scholarships have been granted by the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute).
- There are no course fees for this qualification.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: 5PM, 26 JANUARY 2018
LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Application forms can be found here: Application-for-Enrolment-to-Te-Rito-2018.doc
To learn more about Te Rito, click here: